I released my first book, From PHP to Python: A Straight-to-the-Point Guide in May 2023.
It’s the best shortcut to learn Python if you already know PHP. It was written with senior PHP developers in mind.
After reading the book you will be able to write Python code, write tests, learn a Python web framework like Django, and contribute to Python open-source projects.
- No bullshit. You know what a variable, a for loop, or an object is. We will only focus on what’s different. The book is written in a concise and straight-to-the-point style.
- The book shows PHP and Python code side-by-side to help you quickly understand what’s going on (PHP code and Python code are highlighted differently to keep things clear).
- It is built to be read in order and to give you all you need to master Python in a web-oriented approach.
Where can I buy it?
The book is available on Gumroad in PDF and ePub, and on Amazon in Kindle version.
To be honest, you have all the reasons to buy it on Gumroad because you will get the PDF and ePub versions which are cleaner. Also, I activated the Purchasing Power Parity feature there so there are chances you can buy it cheaper, and I earn more on Gumroad than on Amazon.
Table of contents
- Before we start
- Language Syntax
- Data Types
- Positional and keyword arguments
- Local and global variables
- Classes and Objects
- Objects, objects… objects everywhere!
- == and is explained
- Imports, Modules and Packages
- Working with strings
- Match case Free chapter!
- Working with regexes Free chapter!
- Magic methods
- Documenting and Debugging Your Code
- Context Manager
- Managing dependencies with pip
- Let’s add some poetry
- Monkey patching
- Testing with unittest
- Testing with Pytest
- Interacting with the filesystem
- Working with environment variables
- Interacting with CLI
- Walrus operator
- DTOs in Python
- Standard lib and interesting modules
- Publishing a package
- Interacting with databases
- PEP ?
- Web frameworks
- WSGI and Servers
- Tooling and Linting
- Python Culture